Warisan International Martial Arts Academy
The place where you learn amazing skills
We are Warisan International Martial Arts Academy and my name is Marcel Horstman, the founder of Warisan with more than 35 years of experience in various martial arts and disciplines. We offer a range of different martial arts from the highest rank from South East Asia.
The Martial Arts that were taught to me and that also forms our Academy are:
• Silat Suffian Bela Diri a family style of Guru Maul Mornie whose grandfathers taught Maul these amazing fighting skills and gave Maul the nickname "Suffian" A myth/story of an ancient legendary Hero/Warrior. Silat Suffian Bela Diri means Silat "a collective word for Martial Arts in Southeast Asia" taught to Maul "Suffian" Bela Diri "self-defense". One of his Grandfathers was the personal bodyguard of the Sultan of Brunei. And his Martial Art is also used in the elite army of the Sultan. a highly skilled and effective Martial Art spreading fast out all over the world and is well received and respected by all Martial artists.
• Kali / Escrima / Arnis They are the national martial arts of the Philippines. The three are roughly interchangeable umbrella terms for the traditional martial arts of the Philippines ("Filipino Martial Arts", or FMA), which emphasize weapon-based fighting with sticks, knives, bladed weapons, and various improvised weapons, as well as "open hand" or techniques without weapons. This is what they use to train the Special Forces, Marines and the Police. Panantukan / Panuntukan (also called dirty Boxing) and literally translated means "the art of Filipino fist fighting" is 1 example of this. Also called pangamot (use your hands), pakamot, Mano-Mano (from the Spanish revolution) or Filipino boxing. The word / name choice really depends on which area of the philippines you are in to practice this art. Each island has different dialects and some population groups sometimes do not even speak the native language "Tagalog". Only their own dialect and therefore we have different name choices for Filipino boxing and throughout the Filipino Martial Arts.
. GAT " Garimot arnis training " Garimot Arnis (or Garimot Arnis de Mano) is a Filipino martial art developed by Gat Puno Abundio "Garimot" Baet. He is the 5th generation inheritor of his family art. Garimot Arnis is a system composed of three basic parts: arnis de mano (weapons), buno (wrestling), and hilot (healing). The defining characteristic of the system is in keeping yourself safe. This is done by meticulously studying the footwork, angles, and distancing of largo mano (long hand) to keep yourself out of your opponent's range while keeping him/her in your range. In corto (close range), the opponent's ability to attack must be shut down as quickly as possible, through a disarm, lock, or manipulation of the opponent's body,. Above all, knowledge of hilot allows you to keep yourself healthy by helping you to fight illness and injuries, especially injuries caused during arnis and buno training. "Garimot" (from Paeteno slang "garaymot," meaning "absorber") was the fighting nickname of Gat Puno's father Felipe. Gat Puno took the name in his father's honor, and used it to name his family's system.
• Isshin Ryu Karate from Okinawa Japan of the founder Master Tatsuo Shimabukuro who trained the Marines of America in the 50's and this Karate style now highly regarded in Japan (Okinawa) and the USA. And is currently spread throughout the world.
• Okinawan Kobudō of the founder Taira Shinken who trained under Yabiku Moden is a Japanese term that can be translated as "old martial way of Okinawa". It is a generic term coined in the twentieth century. Okinawan kobudō refers to the weapon systems of Okinawan martial arts. These systems can have from one to as many as a dozen weapons in their curriculum, among the rokushakubo (six foot staff, known as the "bō" (meaning staff)), sai (three-pronged truncheon), tonfa (handled club), kama (sickle), and nunchaku (two rope- or chain-connected sticks), but also the tekko (steelknuckle), tinbe-rochin(shield and spear), and surujin (weighted chain). Less common Okinawan weapons include the tambo (short stick), the hanbō (middle length staff) and the eku (boat oar of traditional Okinawan design).
• Shotokan Karate from Okinawa Japan of the founder Master Gichin Funakoshi who brought Shotokan Karate to the main land Japan in 1922 after being invited by ministry of health, welfare and sport and is widely credited and thought in Universities.
• Taijitsu / Taijutsu from Japan, a traditional martial art that can be compared to Karate, but focuses more on body techniques such as throws, locks, grips and balance disturbances.
Marcel is a certified LMA level 3 teacher and nationally recognized by the NPSF (Dutch Pencak Silat Federation) and by the FOG (Federation of East Asian Martial Arts). This is a qualification structure of the NOC*NSF (Dutch Olympic Committee and the Dutch Sports Federation) and he is recognized by the Federation KBN (Karate Bond Netherlands) as well.
We Offer You
Different kinds of Martial Arts
Silat Suffian Bela Diri
The founder Guru Maul Mornie is known for promoting a traditional Family style / silat system from Negara Brunei Darussalam known as Silat Suffian Bela Diri (SSBD). Guru Maul travels and teaches SSBD in order to introduce and to promote Bruneian Martial Culture worldwide. I am one of 1st line and direct students under Maul Mornie. Last year I had the honor of receiving the first (and till now the only one in the world) certificate and earned the title of Cikgu (Teacher).
I am based in the Netherlands and teach SSBD on a weekly base. Warisan hosts several seminars per year with and without Guru Maul.
Arnis / Kali / Escrima
They are the national martial arts of the Philippines.
The three are roughly interchangeable umbrella terms for the traditional martial arts of the Philippines ("Filipino Martial Arts", or FMA), which emphasize weapon-based fighting with sticks, knives, bladed weapons, and various improvised weapons, as well as "open hand" or techniques without weapons.
I have trained in the Philippines for 7 years directly under 6 different Masters and Grandmasters to develop my skills and principles. I represent UDTA "United Defensive Tactics Academy" here in the Netherlands. A multiple FMA style of the Founder Master Abraham Jr Garrido Ganzon who trained directly under 14 different Grand Masters.
On July 2022 I went to America to train with GAT PUNO an amazing Master of his own style GARIMOT ARNIS SYSTEM aka GAT. After more than 120 hours of training he rewarded me as his assistent trainer here in the Netherlands and Europe.
July 2023 I went back to Miami to train 14 days directly under GAT PUNO. After again training many many hours and doing tests like sparring in Arnis and Buno and Teaching, GAT PUNO rewarded me as Guro Mayor (Chief Instructor) of Europe. I feel so blessed, proud and grateful to have been graduated to this position. I will give my best to share Garimot here in Europe.
Self-Defense for Children
This program is specially developed for children and based on old principles and disciplines. We use the Rock and Water method as well to train the children not to fight. We teach them how to walk away strong and feel great and powerful after doing this. This doesn't mean they can't fight. Of course, we train them physically and mentally to become stronger and smarter. We create little warriors with great skills and mobile abilities to move and act fast with amazing coordination and incredible speed.
Self-Defense for Women
A special training for Women developed for the dangerous times we live in nowadays. Ancient skills, principles and strategies brought together in the modern way of thinking and acting of the human race. With this awesome program women can learn to defend themselves from ill-intentioned individuals. With a lot of normal things what women use in daily life, we will teach them how to use these items when they need to defend themselves.
A unique system what actually every woman needs to know.
Warisan Private Training
With decades of experience in training different Martial Arts, I could develop my teaching skills, so that now I am able to give you amazing and realistic training sessions where you can learn how to defend yourself with and against all kinds of weapons. You will develop strong stamina and a body with a good and healthy mindset.
In me you will find a personal trainer to build up your self-confidence and body strength as well as great fighting skills.
Instructor Course Programs
Here we offer different instructor course programs, where people can start a project and work under the wings of Warisan International Martial Arts Academy.
On weekends we offer also Seminars for people who work full-time during the week. They can do a weekend course which is spread out over a couple of weekends over the year so that they have the opportunity to become instructors too under the wings of Warisan.
We Teach Your Kids Martial Arts!
Little Warriors program
Warisan International Martial Arts Academy also offers the Little Warriors program. The Little warriors program has been specially developed for children from 5 to 10 years. This program offers children a strong foundation in essential character qualities such as courtesy, respect and discipline. In addition, the program is designed to improve and increase children's motor skills and their ability to concentrate by paying attention to follow clues and assignments. All lessons are given using the safest, funniest and most positive exciting instructional methods available for this age group.
Lessons will be given in the early evenings and on Saturdays and in the future also on different parts of the day.
The lessons are given by Cikgu / Sensei Marcel Horstman (Black Belt Head Instructor) or by an experienced Black Belt Instructor.
We have their own unique performance patches "Little Warriors." And these patches are earned with small achievements in training and that a recognition of a certain level and also at the age of the child. Different full-color performance patches are available for all levels that can be earned by a certain score. The ranking and testing system used for the Little Warriors candidates differs somewhat from that of our regular programs. Little Warriors candidates can earn six collectable patches on the belt or uniformly as follows: for each belt as shown here, 6 unique patches can be obtained that belong to the belt in question. For the yellow belt; for orange; for camouflage (camo); for green; for purple and for blue. All six patches can be displayed on the child's belt or uniform as they have been earned.
International Martial Arts Academy
The place where you learn amazing skills
"Silat Suffian Bela Diri"
We are proud!
We are the Dutch Silat Suffian Bela Diri Headquarters and Marcel Horstman is the Group Leader of the Netherlands and the only person in the world who is certified by Maul Mornie and recognised by the federation NPSF (Nederlandse Pencak Silat Federatie) and carries the title Cikgu (Teacher). In Bruneian Martial Arts this is already a very high level/degree.
We are very proud that we have SSBD in our Academy and that we can share this amazing Bruneian Martial Art.
Marcel Horstman is one of the first pupils who trained directly under Maul Mornie and is still training with him nowadays. It's a great honour to train with him and to learn more and to share more with the students of our school.
Never stop learning!